By Ashley Davenport – Oct 15, 2019 The nation’s corn crop continues to lag in maturity.According to the latest USDA Crop Progress Report, 73 percent of the nation’s corn is mature, 19 points behind the five-year average, and 23 points behind 2018.In Indiana, the crop is 72 percent mature, compared to the five-year average of 98 and the 2018 rating of 99.24 percent of Indiana’s corn crop is harvested, an increase of nine points from the week prior, still lagging behind 2018’s harvest progress of 49 percent.30 percent of Indiana’s soybeans have been harvested, 19 points behind last year’s harvest, and 17 points behind the five-year average.33 percent of Indiana’s corn and soybeans are rated good to excellent. Facebook Twitter SHARE Home Indiana Agriculture News Indiana Corn Crop Struggles to Maturity Previous articleUSDA Recognizing, Empowering School Meal ProfessionalsNext articleUSDA Opens 2020 Enrollment for ARC, PLC Ashley Davenport Facebook Twitter Indiana Corn Crop Struggles to Maturity SHARE
Papua New GuineaAsia – Pacific Receive email alerts August 30, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Foreign media barred from covering Australia’s refugee processing centre Melanesia: Facebook algorithms censor article about press freedom in West Papua RSF_en Follow the news on Papua New Guinea Help by sharing this information Papua New GuineaAsia – Pacific August 23, 2019 Find out more News August 12, 2020 Find out more News to go further News reporting hit by Internet blackout in West Papua News April 16, 2020 Find out more Organisation News Reporters Without Borders condemns Papua New Guinea’s decision to temporarily ban visits by foreign journalists wanting to cover Australia’s plans to reopen an old detention centre on Manus Island – an island belonging to PNG that lies off its northern coast – and use it for processing asylum seekers.”It is vital that journalists should be able to cover this kind of development, especially when it concerns such as sensitive subject as refugees,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge the PNG government to lift this ban at once so that reporters can cover the reopening of the centre.” Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced on 13 August that her government would start sending asylum seekers to Christmas Island (an Australian territory) for processing by the end of September, and to Manus Island at a later date.Australia’s announced use of PNG territory to detain asylum-seekers is still very controversial in PNG. “There’s no law in PNG that allows people to be detained without being charged,” said National Capital District governor Powes Parkop, a former member of the ruling coalition.Sydney-based Fairfax Media has reported that two of its journalists submitted visa applications to visit Manus Island on 15 August. Their applications were approved by the PNG prime minister’s office within 24 hours but were then denied by the Immigration and Citizenship Service.A spokesperson for the Immigration and Citizenship Service subsequently told Fairfax that the foreign minister had banned “the issuance of visas to foreign media personnel until further notice.” Fairfax has appealed.Foreign minister Rimbink Pato cited national security when defending the temporary ban in an interview on 24 August, saying it would prevent misreporting that could be ‘‘misinterpreted.’’ There was “no need for the access” at the moment, he said, adding that eventually “everyone will be invited to come and see what we’ve achieved.” PNG was ranked 35th out of 179 countries in the 2011/2012 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.More information Papua New Guinea: Government minister calls for two reporters to be fired over Covid-19 coverage
RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterest Facebook News Previous articleVoting underway in Local and European elections in DonegalNext articleMan appears in court charged with sexual offences against children in Donegal News Highland Counting of votes in North’s Local elections to begin this afternoon 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Counting of votes cast in Northern Ireland’s European and local government elections is to begin later.The verification of election ballots is expected to be completed by mid-afternoon, and the first council seats should be declared by about 6pm.All results from the 11 new councils should be known by Saturday evening.In the Derry/Strabane Supercouncil, a total of 71 candidates contested the 40 seats up that are for grabs in the newly drawn up seven district electoral wards.It’s understood that the turnout in Strabane was just over 53%, while it was just over 50% in Derry. By News Highland – May 23, 2014 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire WhatsApp Twitter Twitter Facebook Google+ Pinterest Google+ WhatsApp 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal
‘Competing Interest Of Health Of Students & Providing Nursing Services To Common Man’: Allahabad HC Seeks UP Govt’s Reply In Plea Against Reopening Of Nursing Educational Institutions [Read Order]
News Updates’Competing Interest Of Health Of Students & Providing Nursing Services To Common Man’: Allahabad HC Seeks UP Govt’s Reply In Plea Against Reopening Of Nursing Educational Institutions [Read Order] LIVELAW NEWS NETWORK2 July 2020 4:47 AMShare This – xThe Allahabad High Court on Wednesday asked Additional Advocate General Manish Goel to seek instructions from the UP Government regarding re-opening of nursing educational institutions in the state. “Considering the competing interest of securing life/ health of students vis-a-vis requirement of providing nursing services to the common man, it would be appropriate to permit the…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Allahabad High Court on Wednesday asked Additional Advocate General Manish Goel to seek instructions from the UP Government regarding re-opening of nursing educational institutions in the state. “Considering the competing interest of securing life/ health of students vis-a-vis requirement of providing nursing services to the common man, it would be appropriate to permit the learned Additional Advocate General appearing for the State to obtain specific instructions in the matter from the department concerned,” single bench of Justice Ashwani Kumar Mishra has ordered. The direction is passed in a petition filed by few nursing students impugning Government Order dated May 7, 2020, “mandatorily requiring” all final year students of government and private nursing educational institutions to report on campus. The Petitioners, appearing through Senior Advocate Anoop Trivedi and Advocates Abhinav Gaur and Vibhu Rai, had cited various health hazards associated with requiring physical presence of students. They had also drawn attention of the court towards order dated June 29, 2020, passed by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs, extending the lock down. As per the said order inter-alia, all educational institutions are to remain closed till 31st July, 2020. AAG Manish Goel and Advocate Pankaj Rai, appearing for the State, however submitted that the decision to reopen the nursing courses was based upon a circular issued by the Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, dated 16th June, 2020. It was further urged that nursing staff is otherwise required to meet the imminent need due to Covid 19 Pandemic. Emphasizing on the need to balance the interest of the nursing students and the requirement for medical staff, the court has issued notice and has posted the matter for hearing on July 8. The court has also asked the Petitioners to implead Union of India and the Indian Nursing Council, New Delhi, as parties so that they may also obtain instructions in the matter by the next date fixed.A similar petition was also mentioned before a division bench of the High Court comprised by Justice MK Gupta and Justice YK Srivastava. The bench has agreed to hear the petition mentioned by Advocate Shashank Shri Tripathi on an urgent basis. Accordingly, a special bench has been formed during the HC vacation period, to hear the matter on July 3. Case Details: Case Title: Narendra Kumar Singh & Ors. v. State of UP & Ors. Case No.: Writ C No. 10776/2020 Quorum: Justice Ashwani Kumar Mishra Appearance: Senior Advocate Anoop Trivedi and Advocates Abhinav Gaur and Vibhu Rai (for Petitioners); AAG Manish Goel and Advocate Pankaj Rai (for State) Click Here To Download Order Read Order Next Story
More from Thursday’s City Council meeting:City Council Buys Time on Irrigation RequirementOcean City Gives Final OK to Bamboo BanMore coverage to be posted on Friday__________Sign up for OCNJ Daily’s free newsletter and breaking news alerts“Like” us on Facebook Ocean City will spend as much as $1.75 million to repair the track and install artificial turf at Carey Stadium, adjacent to Ocean City High School, near Sixth Street and Boardwalk.In a 6-1 vote Thursday, City Council gave final approval to an ordinance that authorizes funding $1.25 million to install an artificial turf field and to resurface the track at Carey Stadium.Another $500,000 is already in place for the project.The potential spending on the city-owned field that serves as home to Ocean City High School teams is part of a larger bond ordinance that calls for $1.44 million in appropriations and $1.36 million in borrowing. The proposed ordinance would include a $150,000 appropriation for purchase of two new Ocean City Fire Department trucks (another $675,000 is already in place) and a $35,000 appropriation for installation of a generator at the fire department’s 46th Street station.The property, located between Ocean City High School and the Ocean City Boardwalk between Fifth and Sixth streets, is owned and maintained by the City of Ocean City.If the ordinance passes, work on the track and field could begin later this fall and be ready for the spring sports seasons, according to Jim Mallon, assistant to Mayor Jay Gillian. Earlier this month, City Council approved advertising for bids from contractors to complete the job.In public comment, Wesley Avenue resident John Feairheller warned of the surprise costs and considerations of the project. He said he was the engineer for turf field projects in Atlantic City.He said the city should plan on five months of construction, the displacement of spring or fall sports and even the potential relocation of graduation. He said the city will need a staging area for a lot of dirt — the “carpet” of artificial turf sits on two feet of stone. The stone sits atop drainage that will need to be tied into existing outfall pipes, raising cost and capacity issues — “the numbers are always extra,” he said.Feairheller raised other issues. In track, javelin throws can’t pierce the turf field and discus tosses ding the material. Superstorm Sandy was not friendly to the fields in Atlantic City, he said.Feairheller said he doesn’t support or oppose the project. He just wanted the city to be aware of the potential costs.“I see no problem with putting the funding in place,” Councilman Mike DeVlieger said.Council members said the ordinance authorizes the spending but does not yet approve the work on the project.“We’ll do our homework along the way,” Council President Tony Wilson said.Councilman Pete Guinosso cast the dissenting vote.
The Irish supermarket chain Superquinn, which went into receivership on Monday (18 July), was sold to the Musgrave Group yesterday, by the receivers KPMG.Superquinn will continue to trade as usual, under its own name, in a deal which sees all 2,800 jobs saved, including the 200 bakery workers in all 21 of its stores, 16 of which are in Dublin, according to Chris Martin, chief executive of the Musgrave Group.Musgrave already controls Centra, Super Valu and other supermarket operations. Subject to Competition Authority approval, the purchase would bring Musgrave’s share of the retail grocery market in the Republic to 30%, ahead of Tesco, which has 26%. Superquinn was founded by Senator Feargal Quinn in Dundalk in 1960. In 2005, he sold his family’s interest to the Retail Holdings Consortium for €450m. When Superquinn went into receivership, it had property-related debts to various banks of around €400m. The company claims to have pioneered in-store bakeries in Ireland back in 1973, producing a wide range of bread and confectionery.
Losses at own-label bakery supplier Elisabeth the Chef have fallen from £13.9m to £7.5m in its first accounts filed under new ownership.The business, formerly known as Senoble UK, was acquired by Country Style Foods subsidiary Chilled Bakery Products last November. Therefore, only two months of the accounts filed relate to the period following the acquisition.Operating from sites in in Leamington Spa and Worcester, Elisabeth the Chef produces chilled desserts, cream cakes and hot puddings for supermarkets.The business required “immediate intervention” at the time of the acquisition, according to the firm’s annual report for the year to 31 December 2017, after become heavily loss-making.“Significant restructure and reorganisation has taken place in the business since the acquisition,” stated the report. “The balance sheet has been considerably strengthened. The cost base overheads structure and operational performance have all been completely reset.”The company added that a programme of significant change was ongoing, and that the financial benefits were now being seen. Although annual turnover was down 4.5% to £59.7m, a run of positive EBITDA had been achieved without any cash or capital injection.The directors said this had saved 750 endangered jobs at the business, adding that previous large investments in the firm meant it benefited from a significant assets base.“Its people have considerable experience and skills relating to the categories in which it operates,” stated the report. “These assets will be utilised to continue to improve efficiency, create differentiation and grow sales.”Elisabeth the Chef was started as a cake shop in Leamington Spa in 1928. It opened its first manufacturing plant and began to supply top-tier retailers such as Harrods and Fortnum & Mason. It was acquired by United Biscuits in 1979, and was later sold on.
Source: Getty ImagesA ‘handful’ of staff at Addo Food Group’s Palethorpes bakery in Shropshire have tested positive for Covid-19.The bakery, which is situated in Market Drayton, specialises in chilled savoury rolls, savoury hot pies, pasties and slices.Product manufacturing at the site has not been impacted by the cases, Addo confirmed, as only a small number of the 850-strong workforce there have been affected.Those who have tested positive are self-isolating for at least 10 days, with contacts isolating for 14 days as per national guidance.“Unfortunately, we have had a handful of colleagues test positive for Covid-19 at our Palethorpes Bakery. We believe that the virus was contracted outside of our facility and these are isolated incidents,” a spokesman for Addo Food Group said.They added that the health and safety of staff was the company’s number one priority, noting that it has strictly followed government guidance on screening, social distancing and handwashing as well. The firm is also taking additional steps to prevent further spread of the virus.“We continue to self-isolate and refer our employees for testing, including those who may be a potential contact of a positive case. As part of our procedure, individuals must self-isolate until a negative test result has been confirmed – it is only at that point that they can then return into the bakery,” the spokesman added.Addo has been working with Shropshire Council and Public Health England Midlands to manage the situation.“We are aware that a small number of positive cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed at the Palethorpes Bakery in Market Drayton,” said Rachel Robinson, Shropshire’s director of public health.“We are working closely with the business and Public Health England to help limit any further potential spread.”In August, a small number of staff at Addo’s Riverside bakery in Nottingham – which produces own-label chilled quiches, flans and savoury tarts as well as gluten-free pork pies and sausage rolls – tested positive for Covid-19.Addo implemented several additional safety procedures at the start of the pandemic, which it said have stayed in place even as lockdown eased. These included two-metre social distancing across all work and break areas and safety screens at all working areas.Other bakery manufacturers have also recorded cases of Covid-19 at its facilities. Production at Greggs’ Newcastle factory was temporarily halted in September as a result of the virus, as was production at Greencore’s Northampton sandwich site in August. Staff at McVitie’s owner Pladis and Mr Kipling have also tested positive for the virus in recent months.
Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Photo Credit: PixabayFREDONIA — The Village of Fredonia will hold a bottled water distribution for residents without access to potable water during the village’s boil water precautions.Customers of Fredonia water districts in need of bottled water can get water at the Village of Fredonia DPW, 176 Eagle St.The water giveaway will be from 4 to 7 p.m., today and 9 a.m.to noon and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.Customers who are physically unable to obtain water please call 716 679 2307 to make arrangements.