Local Father, Husband and Iraq Veteran Clint Side Fights Cancer, Needs…

first_imgSubmitted by Michelle Pierce, Uncork and UnwindClint and Reini Side with their daughter, Felicity.Please allow me to introduce to you a local family, who is fighting a horrible disease.  Clint Side is an army veteran who served our country for 6 years and completed four tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Reini Side, is a lifelong resident of the Olympia area and works for the state.  In January 2013, Clint and Reini welcomed their beautiful little girl, Felicity, who made her arrival as the first baby in Thurston County.Clint is battling for his life against glioblastoma multiforme grade IV (GBM) brain cancer – the most aggressive kind of brain cancer.  Clint fought bravely for his country, and now his wife, Reini, is bravely fighting to get the treatment he desperately needs.Clint’s situation is very unique as he has survived brain cancer for the past three and a half years. They first discovered a GBM in 2010 and doctors gave him less than a year to live, even with treatment. With chemo/radiation, and a huge amount of prayer, Clint beat the odds and has had clean MRIs for years. Just a few months ago, a routine MRI indicated that Clint’s tumor had returned. He underwent surgery in June but, due to the location of his tumor, only 70% could be removed. The remaining 30% was inoperable, as it pressed right against his speech/motor center. The tests revealed it was again GBM.Clint and Reini have been working tirelessly with medical professionals in Seattle to find the right treatment plan for Clint. They have jumped through hoop after hoop with insurance issues to make sure that Clint’s treatment is covered. They just received the devastating news this week that his tumor is now too big for the treatment that the cancer specialists originally prescribed. So, they are in a race against time to get another treatment plan approved and started. It needs to happen immediately.The expenses associated with Clint’s treatment are adding up. They have co-pays, medications, gas bills for driving up to Seattle, housing during Clint’s treatment, and the list goes on. It is a huge financial burden for Reini, who works full-time and is the primary caretaker for both Clint and their 19-month-old daughter, Felicity.To support this family, the community has planned a fundraising event in hopes of helping offset the expenses of fighting Clint’s cancer.  All are invited to attend the fundraiser on Sunday September 7, 2014 at 4 p.m. at Uncork and Unwind, 324 Custer Way SW in Tumwater.This event will be a wine tasting and silent auction.  You can pre-purchase tickets here or you can pay at the door.  100% of the proceeds will be given to the Side family.We are also collecting donations for the silent auction.   If you are interested in donating, please contact Michelle at (360) 943-9463.If you are interested in learning more about this family and receiving updates on Clint’s progress and treatment, please take a look at their blog. Facebook288Tweet0Pin0last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *