Business owners and locals have demanded that the Bogor administration remove specific articles in the smoke-free zone bylaw as they are considered to be hurting local businesses.A number of traders and small and medium enterprise (SMEs) owners filed a judicial review with the Supreme Court over the bylaw on Dec. 5, 2019.Nina Hanafi, a staple food shop owner who also sells cigarettes, deplored an article in the bylaw that prohibits shop owners from displaying pictures of cigarettes. Moreover, Nina claimed business owners were not given information about the bylaw. “A revision of the bylaw should improve the situation,” she said.Speaking on the same occasion, Rommy Prasetya, a local, demanded that the Bogor Council be stricter in overseeing the city administration.“The Bogor Council should oversee regulations made by the city administration. If it is not effective, then what it is for? I don’t know how the council studied the bylaw during its deliberation, especially considering the social and economic impacts,” he said.He also questioned whether the council had carried out a survey to determine how many civil servants and councillors were active smokers, given that there was no special room dedicated for smoking in the new council building.“Public spaces lack areas designated for smoking,” he said. Responding to the issue, Bogor councillor Muaz HD of the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), who has expressed a similar sentiment, attempted to raise the topic among councillors.“I have suggested that the bylaw be revoked in a formal meeting,” he said.Muaz explained that the 2009 bylaw was not intended to prevent people from smoking but rather to designate more smoke-free areas, such as in public minivans, office buildings and schools.However, he deplored the city administration for failing to designate more smoking areas. “This has caused people to think that the [bylaw] is antismoking,” he said.Muaz said the Bogor administration had received Rp 43 billion (US$3.14 million) in tax revenue from cigarettes in 2019, deeming that amount to be sufficient to provide designated zones for smokers. (sau)Topics : “We want them to assess the impact of that regulation on people who don’t smoke. This has harmed us,” she said during a discussion on the bylaw in Bogor on Thursday.She went on to say that she had removed a banner outside her shop despite it did not explicitly showing a particular cigarette brand, only a similar logo color. The banner also served as her shop’s sign.Nina said her shop was not the only business that had been affected by the regulation.“This worries traders because displaying the name of our shop is very important,” she said.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Doug Tenney, Leist MercantileThe USDA report today had September 1st corn stocks at 2.114 billion bushels, soybeans 913 million bushels, and wheat 2.385 billion bushels. Both corn and soybean numbers were below the low end of trader estimates. Shortly after the report corn was up 10 cents, soybeans up 18 cents, and wheat down 1 cent. Just before the noon release corn was up 2 cents, soybeans up 13 cents, and wheat down 3 cents.Today is the quarterly grain stocks report on US grain as of September 1st. This report will provide both off farm and on farm bushels. Most likely the report will get some attention from traders as it details another report from USDA. Harvest activity is close to a fever pitch this week in Ohio and the rest of the Midwest. With that note, producers may not have this report on their radar. A takeaway for today – If corn and soybean stocks are drastically different from expectations, it hints 2018 corn and soybean yields could be revised in upcoming monthly WASDE reports.The average trade estimate for corn stocks was 2.428 billion bushels, soybeans 982 million bushels, and wheat 2.318 billion bushels. Last year’s September 1st corn stocks were 2.14 billion bushels, soybeans 438 million bushels, and wheat 2.390 billion bushels. Not unexpected is the huge increase in soybean stocks compared to a year ago.China will be on holiday this week beginning on Tuesday. The US/China trade talks at this moment are scheduled to begin in Washington DC on October 10. The additional US tariffs on China goods were scheduled to be implemented on October 15. China’s first order of business at the table will be to ask for an extension on the implementation of additional tariffs.Just remember the country writing the news release is always the hero. The other party is the villain. Things would be so much better “our way” if the “other party could just see clearly,” remains the theme in ongoing statements from both parties.Soybean price activity last week had the November CBOT contract reach its high for the week last Monday at $8.99 ¼ while the low for the week was on Friday at $8.81 ½. The lowest close last week was on Friday at $8.83, down 5 ½ cents for the day. More promises of rain to come in Brazil partly resulted in the lower close last Friday. The uncertainty of the US/China trade talks also provided tension and uncertainty.Last week the Trump administration hinted the US could delist China companies on our stock exchanges. Additional news on Sunday indicated this would not take place. The rhetoric is ongoing from both sides. It will continue in the days and weeks ahead until a long term deal beyond just agricultural goods is inked. When you remember the talks later next month are the 13th session for trade negotiators between the US and China to meet, you have to think out loud, “Here we go again.”
Phil Younghusband struck from the penalty spot and FC Meralco Manila came away with a gutsy 1-0 victory over Ilocos United as the Sparks regained top spot in the Philippines Football League on Saturday at Quirino Stadium in Vigan.Under a heavy downpour, Younghusband cooly sent his spot kick past Ilocos goalkeeper Baba Sampana in the 54th minute for his fifth goal of the season after a handball infraction on Ilocos inside the box as the Sparks upped their haul to 20 points from eight matches.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ The Sparks also got a superb effort from goalkeeper Jun Badelic, who stopped Josh Reyes’ effort in the 84th minute, preserving the victory for Meralco.The victory puts the Sparks two points clear of JPV Marikina, which can regain top spot with a win over Davao Aguilas in a match scheduled Sunday night at Rizal Memorial Stadium.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsOver at Panaad Stadium in Bacolod City, Ceres Negros whipped Stallion Laguna, 5-2, for its third straight victory.Flaunting their attacking firepower, the Busmen had five different players scoring in front of the home crowd with Stephan Schrock setting the tone for the rout with his 12th minute strike. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Goals from Jeffrey Christiaens, Iain Ramsay, OJ Porteria and Bienvenido Maranon highlighted a strong performance by coach Risto Vidakovic’s men.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games SMB dynasty in the offing Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ What ‘missteps’? Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend LATEST STORIES View comments
Srinagar, May 5 (PTI) The CRPF today termed the situation in south Kashmir as challenging and a cause for concern, saying militancy is on the rise there as many locals were joining the militants ranks.”The situation in south Kashmir is challenging. The militancy is on the rise there and many locals are joining the militants. It is a cause for concern. Keeping that in view, the intensity of (anti-militancy) operations has increased in that area,” Inspector General, CRPF, Srinagar, Ravideep Sahi told reporters here.He was speaking to reporters at a talent hunt sporting event organised by the CRPF.”The army, CRPF, J&K Police and BSF are here and all these operations keep on happening. And based on a particular security situation which erupts and based on intelligence inputs, these operations happen and will keep happening in the near future as well,” he said, responding to a question on yesterdays massive anti-militancy operation in Shopian district of south Kashmir.The CRPF IG, however, refused to state whether the operation was successful or not.”I cannot say about this particular operation because it is not in my operational area. But yes, any operation that is carried out, its positive impact remains there because the troops go out to dominate the area, cordon and searches take place, that always remains successful,” he said.Sahi said the operation was undertaken to create a sense of security among the people in south Kashmir which has witnessed a spurt in militancy-related incidents including attacks on banks.advertisement”To stop that (attacks on banks and cash-vans), a large scale cordon and search operation is underway since the last two-three days. It is underway to create a sense of security among people and stop looting and killings, he said.He said the security forces would handle the threats made to security personnel by the militants recently.”It is very unfortunate that the local men of police, CRPF or army are being threatened. If someone joins the force, it gives them employment and through this employment, he looks after his parents and family and focuses on the education of his children. These threats are not good and I think we all – CRPF, army, J&K police will handle it,” he said.He said there would be a coordinated security scheme for this years annual Amarnath Yatra, which also passes through south Kashmir.”Our endeavour will be that the security arrangements for the yatra – whether it is (RoP) road-opening party, route security, shrine security and all the other things – go better,” he said.He said the security forces would try to follow the feedback they got last year which is operationally relevant this year too.”We will see about installation of CCTV cameras (as well),” he added.Sahi said the security agencies had inputs about the movement of militants in the summer capital here as well.”Inputs which are with us suggest that militants do come and go in Srinagar, but we do not have any information about their permanent bases (in the city) so far. But they move here and we have information about that,” he said.Asked about militant videos posted on social media, the CRPF IG said “On the basis of technical inputs and the technology which is with us to stop this, we will use that so that once it (social media) is banned, it is banned”.He said involving youth in sporting activities would have an impact on the student protests across the valley.”We are very hopeful and we always believe in the right intentions. Everything starts with the intention and our intentions are very noble that we should engage the young boys and girls into these kind of activities. I am hopeful that these kind of activities, sporting activities, will have an impact on that (protests),” he said.Sahi said though such activities would not end the issue of Kashmir, they are an opportunity to engage the youth.”When the situation is not good, it becomes more important that these kind of activities be there so that the energy of youths gets channelised. We have seen that girls and boys are very keen to take part in sports.”This is an opportunity. This will not be able to end issue of Kashmir, but this is a small effort to engage the youth. And the youth are more willing to get engaged. Only thing is that they require an opportunity,” he said, adding the local youth are ready to channelise their energy in a positive manner. PTI SSB MIJ KUNadvertisement
The 2016 NCAA Tournament field was unveiled Sunday night, meaning that for the next three days, college basketball fans will be spending their time filling out brackets. We here at College Spun have a different kind of challenge for you, however. We want you to help us determine the most annoying person in sports media. We’ve gone ahead and nominated 64 different candidates.A few of the nominees – like Barstool Sports, Saturday Down South and SB Nation – are actually entities, rather than people. But you get the gist. We’ve also put ourselves on here, just in case you think that we’re actually the most annoying.Let’s get started. You can vote on the Stephen A. Smith region below:The 64 Most Annoying People In Sports MediaVote On The Stephen A. Smith Region Below1. Stephen A. Smith vs. 16. Cris Collinsworth“You don’t want to make an enemy out of me.” Actually, we don’t really care if we do. More Annoying: Stephen A. Smith or Cris Collinsworth?2. Mark May vs. 15. Terry BradshawOhio State fans might be enough to push Mark May through here. Bradshaw is a long-shot. More Annoying: Mark May or Terry Bradshaw3. Bill Walton vs. 14. Joe BuckWalton’s bizarre announcing style drives most people nuts. Buck has his detractors too, though. More Annoying: Bill Walton or Joe Buck?4. Mike Lupica vs. 13. Gus Johnson“From the parking lot!” More Annoying: Mike Lupica or Gus Johnson?5. Curt Schilling vs. 12. Danny KanellSchilling can’t stop expressing his political views. Kanell can’t stop hating on the SEC. This will be close. More Annoying: Curt Schilling or Danny Kanell?6. Dan LeBatard vs. 11. Katie NolanSome argue LeBatard is a “stunt guy.” Nolan’s detractors are mostly people who don’t appreciate sarcasm. More Annoying: Dan LeBatard or Katie Nolan?7. Tim Tebow vs. 10. Peter KingTebowmania was supposed to end when he stopped playing in the NFL. Some wish King would stop writing about the NFL. More Annoying: Tim Tebow or Peter King?8. Mel Kiper Jr. vs. 9. Tony Kornheiser More overrated: Continuous NFL Draft analysis or PTI? More Annoying: Mel Kiper Jr. or Tony Kornheiser?Vote On The Darren Rovell Region Here >>>
APTN National NewsSovereignty has always been a highly contentious issue in the Mohawk community of Kahnawake outside Montreal.And now a bridge is raising concerns about whether Kahnawake is losing its sovereignty.APTN National News reporter Ossie Michelin has this story.
Charlotte Morritt-JacobsAPTN NewsThe Northwest Territories government is spending more than $300,000 to create a special RCMP unit dedicated to investigating missing people and unsolved murder cases.The news comes almost a month after the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls held hearings in Yellowknife.Freda Cardinal was among the many families at the hearings who pitched a specialized cold case unit for the Northwest Territories. Cardinal’s sister, Stella Cardinal, has been missing since the 1970s.Hers is one of 71 unsolved historical cases in the region.“I feel good about it in a way but where is it going from here is what I would like to know,” Cardinal said, adding she hopes the families will have a say in the creation of the unit. “Are they going to do some follow up with the recommendations and have something for us, some information? We need to know.”A total of $304,000 is budgeted for the unit which would consist of three members to organize, catalogue and investigate cases of suspicious deaths, unsolved homicides, missing persons and unidentified human remains.Currently the major crimes unit is responsible for these cases.