RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print Advertisement Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Ruth Morrissey with her husband Paul after the High Court judgement.A LIMERICK woman, who was put through the full rigour of a 37-day court case after she developed cancer following a misread cervical smear, has said she was angry that Taoiseach Leo Varadkar promised a tribunal that he wouldn’t deliver.And support groups for victims of the cervical smear scandal have pleaded that no other sick woman be made to endure the ordeal.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Ruth Morrissey from Monaleen was awarded €2.1 million in the wake of a landmark High Court case over her CervicalCheck smear tests last week.The 37-year-old mother of one has been told she is unlikely to survive more than two years.Ms Morrisey was the first woman to have go to court since fellow Limerick woman and cervical cancer sufferer, Vicky Phelan settled her action.The Monaleen woman won her case against the HSE and two US laboratories, Quest Diagnostics and Medlab Pathology in relation to the testing of her cervical smear slides in 2009 and 2012.She said she was “angry” that she had to go to court despite assurances from the Taoiseach that women affected by the CervicalCheck scandal could engage in mediation.“I was angry but realistically, when you go through your emotional rollercoaster and you think back, he made a promise that he couldn’t keep,” she said.“When I thought about it, the labs and the HSE have a right to defend themselves in a court case as much as I do. I said, ‘cop on, Ruth, this is going to trial’.”It was claimed there was an alleged failure to correctly report and diagnose and there was an alleged misinterpretation of her smear samples taken in 2009 and 2012 and her cancer spread unidentified, unmonitored and untreated until she was diagnosed with cervical cancer in June 2014.It was further claimed that a review of the 2009 and 2012 smears took place in 2014 and 2015 with the results sent to Ms Morrissey’s treating gynaecologist in 2016, but she was not told until May 2018 of those results which showed her smears were reported incorrectly.MedLab has issued a statement saying they will review the case with a view to appealing the decision.Delivering his judgment, Judge Kevin Cross said that Ms Morrissey’s had been ruined.The HSE, which runs the CervicalCheck screening programme, and the two companies that analysed her smear tests, denied responsibility and fought Ms Morrissey for 37 days in the High Court, but Mr Justice Cross held them jointly and equally liable for what happened.Victims of the CervicalCheck scandal are pleading for other women to be spared the ordeal.They called on the Taoiseach to reconsider the terms of a planned compensation tribunal which would operate in private.The 221 Plus advocacy group was critical of the court process.“Cases like this are a no-win situation for all involved. It highlights our deepest concerns about the raw and needless cruelty of forcing women, who it is accepted have already been wronged by the State, into an adversarial public legal process that makes them feel like they are ‘on trial’ just to establish the profile or the extent of that wrong and how it happened. This is simply unacceptable,” it said.Vicky Phelan said she was also concerned that the tribunal would still be adversarial and would require women to give evidence and argue their case.“The State can do something here. They can go ahead and intervene so that these cases can be settled faster, in a more conciliatory way,” she suggested. TAGSCervical CheckCourthealthLimerick City and CountyNews Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Linkedin Previous articlePush Post Punk Podge to GlastonburyNext articleNews Roundup May 11, 2019 – Limerick Post Podcast Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites NewsCrime & CourtHealthPlea for no more court cases as Limerick woman awarded €2 millionBy Bernie English – May 9, 2019 1100 Email Facebook WhatsApp Limerick on Covid watch list TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Twitter Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Two ex-financial executives at a Long Island-based mortgage lender have admitted to hatching a scheme to fraudulently obtain nearly $9 million in loans, federal authorities said.Matthew Voss, 42, of Northport and 41-year-old Edward Sypher of Scarsdale pleaded guilty Thursday to charges of conspiracy to commit wire and bank fraud at Central Islip central court. A third suspect, 39-year-old Edward Bohm of Nissequogue, is in plea negotiations with prosecutors after being indicted on additional charges last month, records show.“The defendants sought short-term loans from financial institutions that served as a repository for lenders,” William F. Sweeney, Jr., the Assistant Director-in-Charge of the FBI’s New York office, has said. “They then allegedly took the money, which is typically intended for borrowers looking to purchase a home, and used it for their own personal gain.”Authorities have said the trio, who were senior executives at Vanguard Funding, LLC, obtained more than $8.9 million worth of warehouse loans for Vanguard to fund mortgages, but then allegedly misused the loans to pay personal expenses and to repay earlier fraudulently obtained loans between August 2016 and March 2017.Voss was the company’s chief operating officer, Sypher was the chief financial officer and Bohm was the president of sales.Voss and Syphe were released on $30,000 bond. Bohm was released to home detention. Voss and Syphe face up to 20 years in prison, restitution and fines when sentenced by Judge Sandra J. Feuerstein.