Call for pedestrianisation of Catherine Street

first_imgAdvertisement Facebook WhatsApp City councillor Joe Leddin on Catherine Street.Photo: Brendan GleesonTHE pedestrianisation of Catherine Street from Glentworth Street to Thomas Street was up for discussion at City Hall last week.Labour Party councillor Joe Leddin submitted a motion to last Monday’s Metropolitan District meeting calling for the traffic to be banned from Catherine Street in the heart of the city centre.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up He told council members that businesses in Thomas Street have seen footfall increase with the partial pedestrianisation and reduced traffic volumes.“Every city now offers shoppers and visitors a central core urban space that allows people and children to walk about freely without looking out for cars or buses as they move about.“In recent years Catherine Street has seen new businesses establish such as the Commercial Bar or relocate as in the case of Canteen. Existing service businesses including Gleesons and Flannerys have refurbished or expanded their facilities.“As local councillors we must influence and shape the future development of our city centre,” he declared.The City West representative also took the view that as a new transport plan is prepared for Limerick, the Council should not be dictated to by national agencies who base route decisions on traffic volumes rather than what’s best for encouraging greater footfall into the city.He also believes that Limerick businesses and local retailers cannot wait for the redevelopment of the former Dunnes Stores or Opera site which “maybe three to five years away”.“Business owners are telling me that the Council must invest and focus more effort towards making our city a pleasant visitor experience. Retail which is a major employer is under serious threat and the Council must fast forward plans to pedestrianise streets in order to facilitate and attract more footfall that can help to support businesses.“We now have a great opportunity to continue the revitalisation of the city centre through upgrading the public realm in terms of footpaths, lighting etc. on Catherine Street and place electronic barriers that can prevent vehicular access at certain times or days.“With funding in place to significantly upgrade O’Connell Street there is no reason why we cannot advance other plans that will contribute towards improving our city centre,” Cllr Leddin commented.Fine Gael councillor Elenora Hogan commended the Labour politician for his motion and took the view that it should be tested on a “small trial”.Independent councillor John Loftus also liked the idea but raised concerns about how it would affect traffic in the city.“I support this but we would need to seriously look at how we would work it,” Cllr Loftus said. Linkedin Twitter NewsLocal NewsPoliticsSocietyCall for pedestrianisation of Catherine StreetBy Alan Jacques – April 23, 2019 986 TAGSCatherine StreetJoe LeddinLimerick City and CountyNewspedestrianisationpolitics TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Printcenter_img Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick on Covid watch list Previous articleWATCH: Johann van Graan on needing to improve if they are to reach European finalNext articleEngine Lease Financial Corporation celebrate milestone with newly refurbished €4 million Shannon facilities Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Email Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat Is Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon?last_img read more

Former high school principal arrested for his wife’s murder after reporting her missing: Police

first_imgiStock(SUMMERVILLE, S.C) — A former high school principal in South Carolina has been arrested for his wife’s murder, authorities said.James Yarborough called 911 to report his wife missing on Tuesday, said police in Summerville, about 25 miles outside of Charleston.He told the responding officers that his wife, Karen, had been missing since Monday night; he said when he went to bed, his wife said she was going for a walk, according to police.Yarborough told the authorities his wife had been upset because of a recent death and because of the illness of a family friend, according to police.Officers found one bullet on the floor of the couple’s master bedroom, but Yarborough allegedly told police he did not have a gun and did not know why it was there, according to the incident report.The former principal had a red stain on his shirt and told the officers it was likely blood from being on blood thinners, according to police.Meanwhile, Karen Yarborough, 63, was found dead from a gunshot wound on Tuesday in an unincorporated area of Dorchester County, police and Dorchester County coroner’s officials said. Her autopsy has not yet been completed.Yarborough was arrested and charged with murder, possession of a weapon during a violent crime and obstruction of justice, said police.Yarborough had been the principal at Summerville High School from 1994 to 1998, a spokeswoman for the school district told ABC News.He then served as the school district’s director of facilities from 1998 to 2002, according to the district. The spokeswoman declined to comment further.The former principal has not yet entered a plea and did not immediately have an attorney listed.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Calypso Finals 2012 set!

first_img Share Sharing is caring! Tweet 28 Views   no discussions EntertainmentLocalNews Calypso Finals 2012 set! by: – February 16, 2012center_img Share Share Some of the CalypsoniansMany say the best performance for the season is yet to come as ten Calypsonians including the reigning 2011 Calypso Monarch Tasha “Tasha P” Peltier will vie for the coveted title of the 2012 Calypso Monarch.With all the controversy surrounding the Finals leg of the competition; threat of an injunction on newcomer Abel “Checko” Jno. Baptiste’s second song “Bug” and Victor “Comforter” Bique who threatened to file a lawsuit against the Dominica Calypso Association claiming that he tied with another Calypsonian who made it through to the finals when he did not.This Thursday morning all 10 Calypsonians gathered at LIME’s press conference on Thursday to select a number which they will sing on the night of the Finals scheduled for this Saturday at the Festival City in Pottersville. Joey “Explosion” Loyd will start off the competition, followed by Raymond “Vigilante” Vigilant who is competing in the finals in the first time.Daryl “Bobb” Bobb is expected to sing at number three, Dave “Soul Puss” Pascal number four and four time calypso king Dennison “Dice” Joseph at number five.The number six Calypsonian for Saturday night’s show will be Webster “Webb” Marie followed by Gregory “Karessah” Riviere at number seven and new comer reigning Stardom Monarch of the Tent 2012 Abel “Checko” Jno. Baptiste.The reigning calypso Monarch Tasha “Tasha P” Peltier will sing at number nine, while Murphy “Sye” Jno. Jules will close the competition at number ten.President of the Dominica Calypso Association Kelly “The Ghost” Williams took the opportunity to advise the Calypsonians to use the coming days to rest and practice their song to ensure that they give patrons a great show without any glitches and forgetting of lyrics.The show will be held at the Festival City from 8:30pm, tickets cost $70 regular and $160.00 VIP. Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more