GC survey reveals how Covid-19 changed gambling habits

first_img Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter 11th June 2021 | By Daniel O’Boyle Sports betting Topics: Casino & games Lottery Sports betting Online casino Online lottery Online sports betting GC survey reveals how Covid-19 changed gambling habits Laptops, which had been a sharply declining channel for betting, increased in 2020, with 40.1% of gamblers using one to play. Bets on non-sporting, real-world events were especially common on laptops, with around half of bettors so via their laptop. In-play bets, on any sport, were especially popular on mobile, with 74.0% of in-play bettors wagering via their handsets. The most popular vertical for mobile was betting on football, where 62.8% of bettors said they used their smartphone. Lottery, on the other hand, saw the least mobile proliferation, with 43.5% of respondents using their devices to play the National Lottery, and 34.2% for charitable lotteries. For example, while mobile devices remained the most popular medium for gambling, with 50.3% of players saying they gambled via their smartphone, this was level with 2019, ending a trend of steep increases in mobile gambling. Despite attendance being restricted or prohibited entirely at sporting events for much of the year, betting at sports and racing venues increased from 4% to 5%, and wagering at pubs also increased, from 7% to 8%. The survey also found that 30.3% of gamblers had made an in-play sports bet during the past week, plus a further 30.0% in the prior three weeks, for a total of 60.3% of gamblers betting in play during the previous four weeks. The average number of gambling accounts held per customer increased marginally, from 3.0 to 3.2. While 42.6% of customers had just one account and 24.0% had two, 4.5% of customers held ten or more. Younger players were more likely to have many accounts, with 6.8% of those aged 18-24 holding ten or more. Regions: UK & Ireland AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitter On the other hand, betting while commuting – at a time when working from home was the norm – declined from 12% to 10%, while bets placed at work dropped from 15% to 11%. Covid-19 also led to changes in where people placed bets. Of those polled, 96% said they placed a bet at home. center_img A new survey commissioned by the GB Gambling Commission has shown how betting habits have changed amid the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, with the rise in mobile betting being halted and esports becoming much more popular. Desktop PCs, meanwhile, ended a decline, as 26.1% of players used one to gamble. Again, non-sports events saw the highest level of PC use. Tags: Gambling Commission Males were especially likely to bet on esports, with 14% of gamblers doing so. In addition, 7.1% of respondents said they had placed a real-money esports bet and 7.2% said they had placed a skin bet. Those who gambled seven or more times in the past week were also more likely to hold a large number of accounts, with only 12.9% of this group holding one account. Though laptop betting saw similar levels of popularity among all age groups, it was most common among those aged 18-24. Those aged 18-24 and 25-34 were easily the most frequent mobile bettors, while only 14.2% of those aged 65+ were active in the channel. The poll of 8,000 adults was conducted in 2020. As a result, many trends were influenced by the lockdown and social distancing measures that resulted from Covid-19. Younger players were particularly likely to bet in play, with 45% to 25-34 year-olds doing so in the previous seven days. Tablet betting grew to 17.7% but remained below the levels seen in 2018, with in-play wagering especially popular. Meanwhile, 3.3% of players bet using smart TVs, with bets on sports other than football and racing being especially likely to be placed using a smart TV. Esports betting increased significantly year-on-year, from 6% of 2019 respondents saying they had placed a bet on esports at some point in their life to 9.2% in 2020. Overall, 19.8% of respondents gambled outside their home. Those aged 65+ were most likely to bet with desktop PCs. Email Addresslast_img read more