Already one of the greatest sportsmen of his era, Roger Federer will become the most successful man in Wimbledon history if he can beat Croatian Marin Cilic on Sunday’s final and claim an unprecedented eighth men’s singles title.The Swiss, level with Britain’s William Renshaw and American Pete Sampras on seven titles, is rejuvenated after taking a six-month break last year and enters the final as the clear favourite having not dropped a set in the tournament.Add in the fact he has been almost unstoppable this season, winning four of the six events he had entered – including an 18th Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in January – many pundits and rivals believe Federer is playing some of his best tennis this year.While Cilic will be contesting his first final at the All England Club, this will be a record 11th appearance for Federer and, less than a month short of his 36th birthday, he is the oldest Wimbledon finalist since Ken Rosewall finished runner-up in 1974 aged 39.Should he triumph, Federer will become the oldest winner of the Challenge Cup since tennis turned professional in 1968.”It makes me really happy, making history here at Wimbledon. It’s a big deal. I love this tournament,” Federer said after another vintage performance dealt with Czech Tomas Berdych in the semi-final.”All my dreams came true here as a player. To have another chance to go for number eight now, to be kind of so close now at this stage, is a great feeling.advertisement”I am unbelievably excited. I hope I can play one more good match. Eleven finals here, all these records, it’s great. But it doesn’t give me the title quite yet. That’s why I came here this year. I’m so close now, so I have just got to stay focused.”Cilic, the first Croatian to appear in a Wimbledon singles final since Goran Ivanisevic triumphed in 2001, is looking to become the first man from his country to win multiple grand slams.In seven meetings with the tall Croat, Federer has lost just once – in the semi-final of the 2014 U.S. Open when Cilic went on to win the title.In last year’s Wimbledon quarter-final, Federer needed five sets and saved three match points to get past Cilic and that should give the Croatian some hope.”I was one point away from winning a match over here against him. Definitely I believe in my own abilities to get through and to win it,” the 28-year-old said after beating American Sam Querrey in the semis.”But I still know that it’s a big mountain to climb. Roger is playing maybe some of the best tennis of his career at the moment, having a great season. So I know it’s going to be a huge challenge. But I believe I’m ready”.
Inter Milan coach Spalletti happy with Coppa win over Beneventoby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveInter Milan coach Luciano Spalletti was pleased with their Coppa Italia triumph over Benevento.Inter won the round of 16 clash 6-2.”I told (Benevento Coach Cristian) Bucchi after the final whistle that he ought to be proud of that performance,” Spalletti said on Inter TV.“When we went 4-0 up, there was the risk they would stop playing and our attitude was one of assuming it was over, but they constantly pushed forward to harass us off the ball. It was a real game and a difficult one.“I compliment my team, because they proved themselves very professional in their approach during the week building up to it. There is the risk of getting distracted and embarrassed, the way we were last year, so this result is a step forward.“I was impressed with the players who haven’t been on the field as much this season, such as Andrea Ranocchia, Daniele Padelli, Antonio Candreva and Roberto Gagliardini.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
NEW YORK — Stocks are wobbling ahead of the highly-anticipating trade meeting between President Donald Trump and President Xi Jinping of China. Investors have long hoped the two will use their meeting at the Group of 20 summit to start resolving the trade dispute between the two countries. Energy companies sank as crude oil dropped under $50 a barrel for the first time since September 2017.KEEPING SCORE: The S&P 500 index added 2 points, or 0.1 per cent, to 2,740 at 10 a.m. Eastern time. The Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 20 points, or 0.1 per cent, to 25,318. The Nasdaq composite gained 4 points, or 0.1 per cent, to 7,277. The Russell 2000 index of smaller-company stocks edged up 1 point, or 0.1 per cent, to 1,526.Stocks have rallied this week after falling to a six-month low last Friday. The S&P 500 is up 1 per cent this month, but it’s still 6.5 per cent away from the all-time high it set in late September. While the U.S. and China have been sparring for months over technology policy and other trade issues, in the last two months investors have become more pessimistic that the two sides will be able to resolve their differences without causing damage to the global economy.The U.S. has announced tariffs on $250 billion in Chinese imports so far, with the tax rate on many products set to rise Jan. 1, while China is taxing $110 billion in U.S. goods. Wall Street is concerned that the lingering questions about tariffs and other trade issues will keep businesses from spending money.UNWANTED GUEST: Marriott said the information of as many as 500 million guests at Starwood hotels has been compromised by a data breach that started in 2014 and September 2018. The company said the credit card information of some guests may have been taken, along with other personal details. The company’s stock lost 5.8 per cent to $114.80.ENERGY: Benchmark U.S. crude fell sank 3 per cent to $49.92 a barrel in New York, which put crude on track to fall for the eighth week in a row. Brent crude fell 2.5 per cent to $58.40 a barrel in London. Oil prices have plunged as supplies have built up, partly because the U.S. agreed to hold off on sanctions for countries that import oil from Iran. Investors are also worried that a slowdown in global economic growth will reduce demand for fuels.Oil and gas drilling services company Schlumberger lost 2.5 per cent to $44.78 and Chevron fell 0.9 per cent to $117.78 while ConocoPhillips lost 1.6 per cent to $65.82.TESTING, TESTING: Medical lab company LabCorp skidded 10.6 per cent to $144.58 after cutting its profit and sales forecasts. On Thursday LabCorp fell 2 per cent and rival Quest Diagnostics dropped 9.3 per cent after Quest did the same, saying testing volumes were down. Quest fell 1.8 per cent to $86.37 Friday.GAME OVER: Video game retailer GameStop skidded 9.8 per cent to $13.20 after it cut its annual profit and sales forecasts. The company said some key titles didn’t sell as well as it hoped, and promotions and sales of used games weren’t as strong as expected.BONDS: Bond prices rose further. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 3.01 per cent from 3.03 per cent.OVERSEAS: The FTSE 100 index in Britain shed 0.6 per cent. Germany’s DAX fell 0.4 per cent while France’s CAC40 gave up 0.1 per cent.Japan’s Nikkei 225 index climbed 0.4 per cent and the Hang Seng in Hong Kong added 0.2 per cent. South Korea’s Kospi fell 0.8 per cent.CURRENCIES: The dollar rose to 113.59 yen from 113.43 yen. The euro fell to $1.1344 from $1.1389.____AP Markets Writer Marley Jay can be reached at http://twitter.com/MarleyJayAPMarley Jay, The Associated Press
VICTORIA, B.C. – The Provincial government will help bring an end to shell companies and other legal entities to anonymously hide wealth, evade taxes and launder money.According to the government the landowner transparency act, when passed, will establish a public registry of beneficial owners of property in B.C., meaning true ownership will no longer be hidden.The act will require corporations, trusts and partnerships, which currently own or buy land, to disclose their beneficial owners in the registry. Corporations, trusts and partnerships that fail to disclose could face fines of up to $100,000 or 15% of the assessed property value, whichever is greater shared the government. “For years, the previous government did not act, while people used numbered companies, trusts and partnerships to hide who really owns property in B.C.,” said Carole James, Minister of Finance. “Their decisions led to B.C.’s international reputation as a place to anonymously invest wealth and left the real estate sector open to tax evasion, fraud and money laundering.“This registry will make information about the true owners of B.C. real estate publicly available and help crack down on illegal activities. It is one of the key steps our government is taking to ensure homes in B.C. are used for people, not speculative investment or money laundering.”Transparency International Canada released a report in 2016 indicating that nearly one-third of the 100 most valuable residential properties in Greater Vancouver were owned by shell companies. Data leaks, such as the Panama Papers and the Paradise Papers, have provided further examples of how loopholes have left Canada exposed.B.C’s new ownership registry is Canada’s first publicly searchable registry of its kind.According to the government information, including names of all corporate interest holders, beneficial owners or partners, will be publicly searchable through the registry. Tax authorities, law enforcement agencies and relevant regulators will have access to more detailed information and may use it to crack down on tax evasion, fraud and money laundering.“Requiring companies, trusts and partnerships to disclose their controlling shareholders, beneficial owners and partners protects the public by letting everyone know who they are dealing with in B.C.’s real estate market,” said Nancy Merrill, president of the Law Society of BC. “This groundbreaking move by the B.C. government will increase the transparency of land ownership in B.C. and make it more difficult to use such arrangements for tax evasion, fraud and money laundering. British Columbians will benefit from a fairer and more transparent real estate market.” In addition, the B.C. government shared they are introducing amendments to the Business Corporations Act to crack down on tax evasion and money laundering by requiring private companies to hold accurate and up-to-date information about the true owners of their shares and eliminating bearer shares, which are unregistered shares owned by the certificate holder.
New Delhi: Delhi Capitals qualified for the IPL play-offs for the first time since 2012 after a convincing 16-run win over Royal Challengers Bangalore here on Sunday. Entertaining knocks from captain Shreyas Iyer (52 off 37) and Shikhar Dhawan (50 off 37) helped Delhi put up a daunting 187 for five before the bowlers delivered once again to stop the RCB at 171 for seven. It was Delhi’s eighth win in 12 games, giving them the 16 points needed to seal a top-four berth. Chennai Super Kings were the first team to quality for the play-offs. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: RijijuOn the other hand, it is all but over for the Virat Kohli-led RCB, following their eighth loss in 12 games. With 62 needed off the last five overs, the Delhi bowling attack, led by spinners Amit Mishra (2/29) and Axar Patel (1/26), produced another commendable performance after RCB made a promising start. RCB opener Parthiv Patel initially resisted the Delhi attack with aplomb, hitting a belligerent 39 off 20 balls with five boundaries and a six while Kohli seemed happy to play spectator at the non-striker’s end. Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai MastersAlthough it was Delhi’s home game but when Kohli survived a caught behind call on 4, it seemed most of the fans had turned up to cheer for the Indian skipper, who did not disappoint and hit the very next ball for a towering six. The Delhi bowlers replied strongly to the onslaught by the openers by dismissing the duo in quick succession, Kagiso Rabada scalped the wicket off Parthiv while Axar Patel accounted for Kohli (23 off 17), who was caught by Rutherford in the deep. Wickets continued to fall at regular intervals for RCB as their batsmen failed to make an impact. Patel took a stunning catch at the boundary to dismiss AB de Villiers (17 off 19) in the 12th over and South African Heinrich Klaasen (3) soon followed him into the dressing room. Shivam Dube (24), who was dropped on 3, was then caught by Dhawan, eliciting the trade-mark thigh-slap celebration from the Indian opener. RCB seemed to be leading towards victory when Marcus Stoinis (32 not out off 24)and Gurkeerat Singh (27 off 19) were in the middle of a blistering stand but the total proved to be too much in the end. Earlier, half centuries by Dhawan and Iyer coupled with late cameos from Sherfane Rutherford and Axar Patel had powered Delhi to a strong total. Keeping in mind the extremely dry nature of the wicket, Iyer opted to bat first. The openers began the Delhi innings on a steady note. Dhawan sliced Umesh Yadav over cover point to hit the first boundary for his team. Shaw also hit four boundaries and looked in dangerous form but couldn’t capitalise on his good start and perished for 18 in the fourth over with Yadav providing the first breakthrough for the visitors. Skipper Iyer edged the first ball he faced to the boundary. His innings of 52 was laced with two fours and three sixes. On the other end, Dhawan continued hitting boundaries at regular intervals to the packed crowd’s delight. The home team reached to 88/1 at the halfway mark. The duo shared a 68-run stand and looked to set a huge target. However, there was a shift in momentum as Yuzvendra Chahal, who was the pick of the bowlers, dismissed Dhawan as he tried to reach out and sweep the ball in the 13th over. The spinner than dismissed danger man Rishabh Pant for 7 in his next over. Delhi then lost wickets of Iyer and Colin Ingram (11) in quick succession. Delhi were struggling at 141 for 5 when Rutherford ( 28 off 13 balls) and Patel (16 off 9) walked in to share a 46-run partnership with 20 runs coming off the last over.
Ohio State recruit Chris Carter’s attorney doesn’t think there’s a case against the three-star recruit, he told The Lantern on Thursday. “As a criminal defense attorney,” said Harvey Bruner, Carter’s lawyer, “I don’t believe there’s anything.” Bruner said a Cleveland policeman told him charges would not be filed against Carter, who was released from jail Wednesday afternoon after being arrested Tuesday on suspicion of misdemeanor sexual imposition. The case is still under investigation, The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Thursday. Bruner said he expects the investigation to be completed Friday. Carter, from John F. Kennedy High School in Cleveland, was held on suspicion of fondling as many as eight girls while pretending to measure them for junior ROTC uniforms, The Plain Dealer reported Wednesday. Carter, 18, is a member of his high school’s JROTC, Bruner said. Carter did not sign a letter of intent on National Signing Day, Wednesday. The university cannot comment on recruits who did not sign a letter of intent, team spokeswoman Shelly Poe said. Bruner has not talked to Carter since the time of his release, but Bruner said Carter would sign with the Buckeyes. “I know that for a fact,” he said. Carter is a 6-foot-4, 325-pound lineman and a three-star recruit, according to Scout.com. Carter was held in jail overnight Tuesday. A 15-year-old girl told officers that Carter took her out of her classroom and into another room, and told her he needed to measure her for a uniform, according to a police report.